Hola que hace?
I have one month out on my mission! the time goes by so fast when one is out in the field.
This week was super awesome. We taught many people and saw how the Holy Ghost works on people and through us.
1. Coke here is super sweet, almost 60 grams of sugar for half a litre! I don’t buy it anymore because I don’t want to get a cavity each time I drink it hahaha
2. There are dogs EVERYWHERE! They have growled at us a lot lately. One time my companion told me that we don’t walk by a certain area because it’s a bit dangerous and I asked her why. She said, “you’ll see, grab a rock” and then I saw a pack of dogs in front of us, they were barking at us and I honestly got really scared. My companion, since she is an expert in chasing them away threw a few rocks at them, but we NEVER run, that is the worst thing someone could do. Another time, a member’s dog followed us almost all the way home and it would growl at us once in a while. In another occasion, we were walking and I heard a dog running behind me and growling horribly. I froze out of fear and out of nowhere my companion came up behind me with her Book of Mormon in her hand and started yelling at the dog. I saw my life flash before my eyes haha seriously, I don’t like dogs. How I miss Bartie!
3. The mission president and zone leaders came to do a surprise room inspection. You can imagine how us, the four sisters that live there, started cleaning as much as possible. The good thing is that we had cleaned the apartment a week before hahha I always fold my blankets and the time I don’t do it, the president comes to check our room! Hahaha it was funny and he said, “Wow sisters, how tidy you have your room.. and how fast you clean!” Hahah
4. I’m going to try to eat as healthy as I can during breakfast, since our pension doesn’t give us any but they give us our other meals, and it’s so delicious! I seriously don’t think I know a Peruvian person that doesn’t know how to cook! The only thing I didn’t like was a dish with cow’s stomach, but even that tasted kind of good hahaha
5. I pulled a muscle on my leg 😦 sometimes it hurts when I walk; I’m going to buy a cream for the pain. We used to run almost every day but for now, I only walk. I have gotten many mosquito, ants and spider bites… my legs are all scarred but oh well. I am taking some allergy pills and they work! Could you send me my pink sneakers, the ones here aren’t that great and only hurt my feet :(.
6. We were going to go to a place called Matucana today but some of the elders didn’t pass their room inspection and now we have to stay to clean -.-
7. On new years, it was a regular day for the missionaries but everyone was cleaning like crazy and throwing out lentils for good luck. They also wear yellow for prosperity and eat 12 grapes. The sisters who we live with bought some grapes and we saw the fireworks from our roof. It was awesome. 🙂
1. I’m learning a lot about how to teach better. I never realized all the things that the missionaries have to do to be able to touch people’s hearts and recognize their needs.
2. For someone to be progressing in the gospel we use “HOLA”
Asistir a la Iglesia (Attend church)
If someone applies these to their lives, they will for sure obtain a testimony and will experience progress.
3. I’m working on asking “inspired questions”, which means not only asking questions for the sake of asking but asking questions that come from Heaven since our Heavenly Father is the only one who really knows a person and knows what their needs are. I’ve learned how to teach by the spirit, I pray a lot in my heart during lessons so the Spirit will be present and it really works! People’s countenance change; we know what they need, and how we can help them. It’s truly amazing being an instrument in the Lord’s hands and be that medium by which people can get closer to God.
4. We have seen many blessings and miracles! One of them was yesterday; our pensionista’s 9 year old daughter wanted to get baptized but her less active dad was against the idea for many months. We brought the district leaders so they could talk to him but he did not show up. We prayed and fasted (I only fasted a few hours due to health issues, it really was a sacrifice!) and yesterday the subject came up and we told him she was ready. He asked if she understood that there were other churches and if she knew that our church has 2 books. We answered yes (she wants to grow up in the church and get married in the temple), after asking us if we believed that his daughter was ready, he accepted to sign the permission form and she will be baptized on January 17! He thanked us for our work as missionaries and our dedication to the missionary work. This came from a man who didn’t want to have anything to do with the church but the Lord can really soften the hearts of men!
5. Something that I’ve noticed here a lot is that people become inactive because they need to work or are too focused on their studies and don’t have much time for church. However, I know that if we balance our lives with good things from the world, school, work and the good spiritual things such as going to church, praying, and reading the scriptures, our Heavenly Father will truly help us prosper.
“And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you.” (Mosiah 2:22)
I love this scripture! It is true, we only have to apply it in our lives!
For the new year not only set temporal and materialistic goals. Set spiritual goals that will allow you to grow as a person and as the children of God that you are. These are the only things that we will be able to take from this earth. God knows our potential better than we do!
I love you and don’t forget to read and pray.
Feliz Año Nuevo ! Feliz un mes en la mision!
“Y he aqui, todo cuanto el os requiere es que guardeis su mandamientos, prosperareis en la tierra; y el nunca varia de lo que ha dicho; por tanto, si guardais sus mandamiento, el os bendice y os hace prosperar.” (Mosiah 2:22)